Data Protection - using your information
Important information about you and us, Bank of Ireland UK.
Bank of Ireland UK is a member of the Bank of Ireland Group. In this statement Ďour groupí means the
Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland and any of our subsidiary or associated companies. For a
full list of these companies write to us at the address below. We may hold your information and it may
be used by any other member of our group.
Considering your application
To help us decide whether to enter into this and any future agreement with you, we may use:
- any information you have given to us;
- information we already hold about you;
- information we receive from enquiries we make about you; and
- information we get from your other dealings with us or our group.
We may make and keep copies of your passport, driving licence or other proof of your identity that you provide.
We may also search your record held by credit reference agencies or ask them to make enquiries for us.
We may give credit reference agencies the information they need to make their enquiries. The credit
reference agencies will keep a record of our search, whether or not your application goes ahead. This
record will be available to other organisations that make similar searches and could affect your ability to
get credit elsewhere.
Information the credit reference agencies hold about you may already be linked to records relating to
other people. (This is called an Ďassociationí.) You may be considered to be financially linked to these
people and we may consider their credit records when considering your application. If you are providing
information on behalf of others within your business, you are applying for credit with someone else, or
you have told us about a financial link with another person, you must be sure that you are entitled to:
- release information about that other person and anyone else you have referred to; and
- authorise us to search, link or record information about you (and anyone you have referred to) at credit reference agencies
Credit reference agencies will create a link between your credit records and those of any person you
have said that you have a financial relationship with. When you or the people you have a financial
relationship with apply for credit in the future, both your and their credit records will be taken into
account. This process will continue until one of you tells the credit reference agencies that there is no
longer a financial link. We may also use a credit-scoring system or other automated system for making a
Using and sharing your information
We will give credit reference agencies any information:
- that we hold about you;
- about your payment record;
- about your agreement with us (including if you have broken it); and
- about you not telling us about any change of address, if any payment is overdue.
It is important that you give us accurate information. We will check your details with fraud-prevention agencies.
If you give us false or inaccurate information, and we identify fraud, we will keep a record of this. We will share all information with other businesses, including our group or other lenders, to:
- assess applications for credit and credit related services (such as insurance) made by you and members of your household;
- trace people who have debts and recover debts;
- prevent fraud and money laundering;
- make decisions about your account;
- produce and analyse statistics and carryout market research;
- help us identify products and services which may be of interest to you (unless you have asked us not to); and
- consider dealings between our group and other businesses or lenders.
Fraud-prevention agenciesí records will also be shared with other organisations to help make decisions
on motor, household, credit, life and other insurance applications and insurance claims made by you
and members of your household.
We may also give information about you and your dealings with us to:
- anyone who has guaranteed to us that they will meet your liabilities if you canít;
- your insurer;
- anyone acting for you;
- anyone who introduced you to us;
- any finance house, motor trade, vehicle recovery agent, lawyer or law-enforcement agency;
- companies or other organisations which keep registers of assets and interests in them;
- the credit industry and fraud-prevention networks (to detect and prevent crime); or
- any regulatory or government organisation (if we have to do so by law).
Please write to the address shown below if you would like details of credit reference agencies and
others we get information about you from, or details of who we can give information about you to. By law
you have a right to see these details.
We may link information between any of your accounts and other products and services you have with
our group. We will not use these links for marketing purposes without your permission.
We may keep information about you after your account has closed so we can meet our legal obligations
and business needs.
From time to time we may give you details of other products and services we or other organisations
offer. We may also give information about you to:
- Our group; or
- any other person or company we choose from time to time so that they can use it for similar purposes.
We may contact you by post, phone, e-mail, fax and in any other way. You can stop us from contacting you or giving your details to others for marketing purposes
To do this, write to;
Bank of Ireland UK
1 Donegall Square South
(This may mean that you will not receive information about extra benefits available to our customers.)
Transferring your information abroad
From time to time, we may transfer information about you to previously approved companies or people
based outside the European Economic Area. We will only do so if the person or company agrees to give
your information the protection we would have to give it in the UK and to act on our instructions.
You may have given us information about your nationality or whether you have any disability. You do not
have to give us this information if you do not want to. If you give us details of your nationality, we will use
that information for research and statistical purposes only. If you give us details of any disability, we will
use it only to provide any support you need.
Your right to information
You have a legal right to receive a copy of the information we hold about you. To see this information, write to:
Bank of Ireland UK Customer Care Manager 1 Donegall Square South Belfast BT1 5LR
You must pay a fee before we send this information to you. We will tell you the current fee when you write to us.